You are here

Procedure for New-comings

1. Apply for Student VISA

Eligible Persons

Foreign nationals, who hold ordinary passports or other legal travel documents, who intend to stay in the Republic of China for more than six months for the purpose of join family; pursed studies; undertake employment; invest; conduct missionary work; conduct official duties; participate in international exchange programs; and engage in other activities approved by MOFA or other relevant agencies at the central-government level.


  1. A passport valid for at least six months;
  2. A duly completed application form with two 2x2 inch color photos taken within the past six months.
  3. Supporting documents or official letters of approval from a competent authority of the ROC; and
  4. Other relevant documents.
  5. Health Certificate if applicable

Visa Validity A Resident Visa is valid for three months.
Duration of stay

Resident Visa holders are required to apply for the Alien Resident Certificate and Re-entry Permit at local service centers of the National Immigration Agency within 15 days starting from the next day of their arrival. They may stay in the ROC as long as the Alien Resident Certificate remains valid.


  1. Please refer to "Standard Fees for Republic of China (Taiwan) Visas in Foreign Passports."
  2. An additional handling charge of NT嚗800 shall apply to applications made in the ROC by visitor visa holders applying for change or replacement of visitor visa or resident visa.
  3. For foreign nationals from the countries with which the ROC has entered into reciprocal agreements, the Resident Visa is issued gratis.


If foreign nationals who have entered the ROC with Visitor Visas are subsequently legally employed in the ROC, they may make the necessary change from their Visitor Visa into a Resident Visa in this country directly.
The above regulations do not apply to blue collar workers or those who enter the ROC via the visa exemption program or landing visa.

2. Registration

  1. Please print "Your Tuition Bill" at
  2. Complete payment at local banks, listed convenient stores or via ATM
  3. Please submit receipt or proof of payment to Accounting Office: Miss Zhu Taiying for verification.
  4. Proceed to the Registry Office, Miss Wu Xingling for proof of enrollment. Certified Highest-level diploma with one 2-inch photo is required. (must be authenticated by the ROC embassy, consulate office, or Taipei Economic & Culture Office of the country in which the student resides the original certification of the highest academic qualifications outside the Museum)

3. Application for ARC

*Please apply for the ARC (Alien Resident Certificate) within 15 days since your first arrival in TAIWAN!

  1. Provide the following items:
    1. Certificate of Enrollment
    2. Copy of passport
    3. One photo (ID card specification)
  2. Draw a number plate at the Immigration Department lobby
  3. Submit completed application forms at the counter (1-year fee is 1,000NTD)
  4. Typically ARC will be ready after two weeks. Receipts are required to retrieve ARC.

If there is any problem, please call "Office of Information for Foreigners" for help.
Domestic telephone: +886-800-024-111
Overseas telephone: 0800-024-111

*How to get to the Immigration Office
(1) Living in Taipei City: download map
(2) Living in Taipei County: download map

Copyright 2015 © Soochow University., All Rights Reserved., Best Resolution in 1024 x 768 Pixel. | Contact Us | Home | Website Management-Serena Chiang